Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 17:40:04 -0400

Hi David,

> That thread is now 8 months old, and I wondered what has happened since.

Unfortunately, not as much as one would hope…

> Is some of it yet incorporated into the development version of LilyPond?

I’d have to look more closely, but my intuition is “yes”.

> Is it likely to be included in the eventual LilyPond 2.20?

I would think so.

> What I really want to know is whether it would be worth my while
> waiting a little longer before embarking on projects where these
> techniques will be useful (and risking brain damage in the attempt!) -
> there is no actual hurry in my case.

My very next engraving project is the one which inspired many of these threads
— and subsequent feature requests and codebase improvements — in 2012 (e.g.,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-12/msg00425.html), and
even before.

If you can wait, I’m going to use that project — a small choral work with lots
of shared and divisi parts — as a test of the existing functionality, an
inspiration for some new code and/or feature requests, and ultimately a very
detailed tutorial on the subject.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer