Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in different installation contexts

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in different installation contexts
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:47:25 +0200

Hi Urs, List,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

b) Linux, self-compiled

I've never experienced this issue with self-compiled LilyPonds. I assume this is *not* because self-compiled versions implicitly use the bundled libs but because they implicitly compile against what is available in the system. But if that assumption is correct I'd experience the same issue if I should run a self-compiled Lilypond that has been compiled some time ago, e.g. before a major Linux upgrade.

This was my previous method, building from most recent source (which oddly also reported itself as a version more recent [ie, higher version number] than that listed on the website as the latest source). However, I am no longer able to get a working Lilypond via this method, because Gentoo Linux has dropped support for Guile-1.*. Does newer Lily work with Guile-2.*, or would this still be an issue?

I'm also unfortunately not able to help in the more generic issue of ghostscript, because I was updating Lily fairly regularly and can't check your alternative case. However, for the brief window when 1) I still had Guile-1.* on my system and 2) had a version of ghostscript that differed from that packaged with Lily, this was the issue I would encounter. I wrote the list a couple times over this issue, I think back in November or so.

Hope that helps (though, let's be realistic here: I'm not very helpful, alas!),