Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:29:04 +0200

Am 02.04.2017 um 23:56 schrieb David Kastrup:
I have
a hard time understanding how one can consider the visuals of

{ \time 2/4 r4*12 }
{ \time 2/4 R4*12 }

as conveying the same semantics.

Well, to me the semantics are ‘maintain silence for the given period’. The first of your examples does have different semantics from the second one, because anybody reading it would see a quarter rest and lots of empty space, wondering what he should do with it, so I can’t imagine a usecase for that actual output. (A gap text, obviously, should be coded with skips.) I’m sorry if I seem to be apodictic, I’m genuinely wondering where the flaw is in that idea.

Best, Simon