Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 15:25:42 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 01.04.2017 um 17:21 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Formatting is completely different (multi measure rests are spanners!),
>> so articulations etc will behave surprisingly if LilyPond switches on
>> its own initiative.
>
> I take that as a ‘yes, it’s possible, though the changes required to
> handling of MMRs would be quite fundamental’…

You are taking more than I provide.  A MMR is fundamentally different
from normal rests, more so than how a bordun note (which LilyPond does
not provide for) is fundamentally different from a normal note.

R4*7 is fundamentally different in meaning (provide 7/4 total amount of
full-measure rests) from r4*7 (a quarter rest visual with 7 times its
length).  Full-measure rests are aligned to the middle of the bar, other
rests are aligned to the beginning of the bar and/or parallel music.

--
David Kastrup