Re: How to force script (articulation custom function) inside staff ?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: How to force script (articulation custom function) inside staff ?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:38:12 +0200

Am 31.03.2017 um 11:48 schrieb Les Éditions Valmajour - pg:
> Dear list members,
> I have to use lots of dots and dashes in a score, so I found a snippet
> <http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=82> to apply an articulation
> (staccato) function to a long passage. I tried to adapt it for another
> articulation, the one I need (portato, = dot + dash)
> It works well, except the positioning: it remains outside the Staff.
> I would like to get the same positioning behavior than the default
> articulation (inside the staff)

Portato is something different than staccato plus tenuto in LilyPond:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = "default -.--"
    } \relative c'' {
      g8-.-- a-.-- b-.-- c-.--\downbow
      d-.-- c-.-- b-.-- a-.--\upbow
    }
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = "default -_"
    } \relative c'' {
      g8-_ a-_ b-_ c-_\downbow
      d-_ c-_ b-_ a-_\upbow

The portato (-_) is *one* single symbol instead of two separate ones
(dash + dot). This single symbol has no space to got inside the staff so
your function won’t work as expected.

You could try adding the dashes and the dots separately (define
addTenuto which adds "tenuto" instead of "portato"):

\new Staff \with { instrumentName = "+ \addStacc + \addTenuto" }
\relative c' {
  \addTenuto { \addStacc { g'8 a b c\downbow d c b a\upbow } }
}

But IMHO that looks bad because of different spacing between dash and
dot depending on whether they are inside the staff or outside.