Re: A "phylosophical" question

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A "phylosophical" question
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:42:16 +0100

Am 25.03.2017 um 19:51 schrieb Son_V:
> Sorry for the subject, I wasn't able to choose a better one.
> I usually try to put in a beautiful way scores that came fro copy to copy.
> So I try to be loyal to what I find; but I got a score, see below,
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n201532/1.png>
>
> that Lilypond writes differently, see
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n201532/2.png>
>
> Who is right?

Of course this question can't be asked that way (as others have pointed
out you/we need more context). But png.2 (the LilyPond rendering) is
most probably wrong in most contexts. The issue we're seeing here is how
beaming relates to syllables. In engraving tradition there are basically
two methods to indicate melismas: beams and slurs. A typcial 19th
century tradition to notate melismas is to use both slurs and beams (as
you can see in the first system of the attached image).

Actually this is redundant and therefore it has become common to use
*only* beams to indicate melismas, taking slurs only when there is no
way to use beams (long durations, rests between notes). Finally there's
one tradition to use the beams in "instrumental" fashion, that is
according to the meter, and use only slurs to indicate melismas.

But I''ve never seen anything like your 2.png in published scores yet.

> And if them right one is the first,k how can I tell Lilypond to make what is
> in the first picture?

\markup "Traditional"
\relative g' {
  g8 [ ( a ] ) b [ ( c ]) d2