Re: A "phylosophical" question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A "phylosophical" question
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 20:25:14 +0100

Son_V <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry for the subject, I wasn't able to choose a better one.
> I usually try to put in a beautiful way scores that came fro copy to copy.
> So I try to be loyal to what I find; but I got a score, see below,
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n201532/1.png>
>
> that Lilypond writes differently, see
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n201532/2.png>
>
> Who is right?
> And if them right one is the first,k how can I tell Lilypond to make what is
> in the first picture?
> PS I do not have "Beyond bars" at hand, and moreover it should be hard to
> find the answer, i fear.

You did not give a minimal example, you did not specify the meter, you
did not give enough context to determine the system your reference is
working with: whether it is beaming eighths per quarter generally,
whether it is beaming to the text, whether it is following baroque
conventions and so forth and so on.

This is not a "phylosophical question", it is a mixture between vague
handwaving and complaining without enough substance to figure out what
this is about.

All of the possibilities have different answers.  You will find a whole
lot of them explained in the manual, however.

Check <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/beams> and
its subchapters.

Also if you have \autoBeamOff, I believe that beaming will follow the
lyrics of lyrics that have the corresponding music as associated
context, according to baroque conventions.  I don't see anything in the
manuals at first glance so I might have gotten the details of that one
wrong.

--
David Kastrup