Drawing a contour on a staff

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Drawing a contour on a staff
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:18:00 +0000

Hi All,

I am setting a large volume of examples by a now-deceased composer,
some of which use contours as an educational tool (see the attached
image, which I hope isn't too big). As all of the other examples are
set with LilyPond I would like to render this in LilyPond as well for
the sake of consistency, but am not sure how best to proceed. I know I
can do this with a markup path, using lines and curves and so on, but
I want to be sure that is my best solution before committing to it as
it is extremely time consuming (and my initial trials look very
'computerish').

Does anybody know of an alternative way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin