Re:

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re:
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:13:28 +0100

Am 20.03.2017 um 17:02 schrieb Jeffery Shivers:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Martin Tarenskeen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Yes, Lilybin is cool.
>>
>> I would like to see some of the functionality of Lilybin - uploading a
>> lilypond file and downloading the resulting PDF and MIDI files - in the form
>> of a commandline tool, without the fancy GUI webbrowser functionality. Would
>> such a commandline interface to the Lilybin server be possible to create?
> Certainly, I would think. Maybe even for "free" with something like
> EC2 (though I don't know what the traffic limits are for that without
> paying).
>
> BTW, do you mean a sort of minimal CLI in the browser, or actually a
> way to reach the server from your own?

Well, I don't know about LilyPond, but it should definitely be quite
simple to do for someone who has access to a web server running
LilyPond. Create an HTTP server that takes a LilyPond document as the
body in a request, process it with LilyPond, return the document. Then
write a CLI script in any language that takes a LilyPond file as an
argument and performs the HTTP call.

This could be a really simple app, but of course LilyPond on the server
would have to be limited for security reasons. I mean, doing harm on the
server with LilyPond Scheme sounds strange, and I can't imagine anyone
with the required skills would be doing that, but you'll never know ...

Urs