Re: Putting piano/forte *before* the note

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Putting piano/forte *before* the note
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:08:34 +0100

Mojca Miklavec <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I often have repeated segments of music where the first time the
> segment is played piano and the second time it is played forte.
>
> I define segments with
>
>     melodyA = \fixed c' { c4 e g | ... }
>
> and then
>
>     melody = { \melodyA \melodyB \melodyA }
>
> Is there any way that I could write something like
>
>     melody = {
>         \makethispiano \melodyA
>         \melodyB
>         \makethisforte \melodyA
>     }
>
> To avoid having to split the segment and write
>
>     melodyA = \fixed c' { e4 g | ... }
>     melody = {
>         c4\p \melodyA
>         \melodyB
>         c4\f \melodyA
>     }
>
> This is particularly problematic because I usually add those marks
> later and would then need to modify the scores in weird ways to
> achieve the desired effect.
>
> I guess I could use conditional variables, but I would prefer if I
> could just add some kind of markup, even if it's eventually placed at
> the bar.
>
> Thank you,
>     Mojca

melody = {
  <>\p \melodyA
  \melodyB
  <>\f \meldyA
}

<> is an empty chord (no duration since it has no notes to give a
duration to), so it's handy for sneaking in "post-events" (constructs
needing to be written after a note or chord) when they don't have to be
attached to particular notes.

--
David Kastrup