Cross staff stem spacing with proportional notation

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Cross staff stem spacing with proportional notation
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:11:51 +1100

This issue has dogged me for a long time, and searching the archives does not produce a reliable answer as far as I can see.

When using proportional notation with cross staff beamed groups, it looks vastly better if the stems are evenly spaced, but proportional notation messes this up, and only in the cross staff situation.

I have tried using \newSpacing section in my scores and I am so deep in confusion perhaps that I cannot find a way to make this work, while preserving the proportional notation for the score overall.

There is a thread concerning this matter here, with no resolution, but pertinent:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-07/msg00303.html

It would be great if this could be made to work. What lilypond incantations do I need, or is it a current limitation? Could we have some sort of \spaceStemsEvenly command?

Andrew

== snip

\version "2.19.56"

tsd = { \change Staff = treble \stemDown }
bsu = { \change Staff = bass \stemUp }

treble = {
  \clef treble
  aes''32[ \bsu c' \tsd d''' \bsu d' \tsd d''' \bsu ees']
}

bass = {
  \clef bass
  s4
}

\score {

  \new PianoStaff
  <<
    \new Staff = "treble" { \treble }
    \new Staff = "bass" { \bass }

  \layout {

\score {

  \new PianoStaff
  <<
    \new Staff = "treble" { \treble }
    \new Staff = "bass" { \bass }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/32)
      \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t
      \override Score.SpacingSpanner.strict-note-spacing = ##t

== snip