Control of spacing between left edge and first note

From: Thomas Liggett
Subject: Control of spacing between left edge and first note
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:56:22 +1300

Hi all,

I have a staff without any initial clef, time signature or key signature, and
want to increase the space between the left edge of the stave and the first
note. The method below works for the first system, but then reverts to the
default (closer) spacing for the second system.

I’ve referred to the manuals and this snippet:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=648

(I could only seem to control the spacing by retaining the clef (although made
invisible as a point-stencil) between the left edge and the first note,
although it would seem preferable to omit it if possible.)

Thanks,
Thomas

\version "2.19.41"

\paper { indent = 0 }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override LeftEdge.space-alist.clef = #'(extra-space . 1) % space between
left edge and clef
    \remove Bar_number_engraver
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \override Clef.stencil = #point-stencil % make clef effectively invisible
    \override Clef.space-alist.first-note = #'(extra-space . 1) % space between
clef and first note
    \remove Time_signature_engraver
    \remove Bar_engraver
\score {