Re: tweaking Clefs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: tweaking Clefs
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:04:20 -0500

Hi David,

>> The clef changes are fine… but the transposition doesn’t work as I
>> would expect/hope it would.
>
> What did you expect/hope?  This is just for Midi.

Well, then… that explains it, since the visuals were therefore not critical.

>> Is there a way to extend this music-function idea to handle all of the
>> requirements of an instrument switch?
>
> It's not a music function but an expression.  What _are_ "all of the
> requirements"?  This does what \instrumentSwitch can do now.

It doesn’t properly handle key signature changes, in particular those which are
abstracted (but maybe even those which are inline?). See for example the thread
at <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-01/msg00201.html>.
That is one of the main requirements in “all of the requirements” — and perhaps
the only one that isn’t handled well by any method I’ve seen to date. Your
interesting work on the “smartkey” function (back in 2013:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-10/msg00180.html) gave me
hope, but then wasn’t fully sufficient to solve the whole instrument-switching
problem once and for all.

But hitting the ‘reset’ button… Perhaps by now, with all the recent
improvements in the codebase, there is a single way to make multi-instrumental
parts easy to code and output (in both transposed and concert versions),
without being forced to break the music into independent variables, manually
add redundant key changes, etc.?

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer