Re: tweaking Clefs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: tweaking Clefs
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 10:41:36 -0500

Hi David (et al.),

>> No one picked up this one. Perhaps a way to tackle this problem would
>> be to define specific contexts for the instruments that automatically
>> have the right properties. It's worth reading through all the context
>> properties to see which you should set.
>
> Huh, this sounds like a case for what \addInstrumentDefinition was for
> (it's been undocumented because there really is no point in not just
> defining a music expression doing the same).

This is essentially the same problem that has been discussed many times before
on this list (e.g. the long thread at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-05/msg00067.html). There
is a need for a well-implemented instrument-definition and -switching mechanism
which would automatically change all relevant context properties, handle
transpositions and clef issues, etc.

> \new Staff \with \bassclarinet { ... }
> instead and put all the respective definitions in \bassclarinet .

That sounds like it wouldn’t be applicable mid-score.
Am I missing something in what you’re suggesting?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info