Re: UTF-8 in MIDI lyrics

From: karl
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in MIDI lyrics
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 12:20:54 +0100 (CET)

Simon Albrecht:
> Am 24.02.2017 um 02:15 schrieb Joseph Austin:
> > This raises another question.  I'm working with MIDI files,
> > and it's not clear how to encode UTF-8 text in MIDI.
> > There must be some convention, but I haven't found an official RP for it.

http://www.cdik.se/pdf/midiformat.pdf

 [...] Text events may also
 occur at other times in a track, to be used as lyrics, or descriptions
 of cue points. The text in this event should be printable ASCII
 characters for maximum interchange. However, other characters codes
 using the high-order bit may be used for interchange of files between
 different programs on the same computer which supports an extended
 character set. Programs on a computer        which   does not support
 non-ASCII characters should ignore those characters.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148