Re: Arranging lyrics between 2 staves

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Arranging lyrics between 2 staves
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:43:59 -0500

Hi David,

> The piece I am setting can be sung by a baritone or by a mezzo-soprano.
>  In the score, therefore, there are 2 vocal staves, one for each of the
> alternative voices.  The staves contain identical music apart from an
> octave diffence in pitch and different clefs.

Aside: Have you thought about just having one staff, and putting the clef
modifier (i.e., subscript 8) in parentheses?

> It seems sensible to print the words only once, mid-way between the 2
> staves.  But if the words are aligned to the notes in the upper stave
> they appear too high.  If they are aligned to the music in the lower
> stave the result is more acceptable, although the words are perhaps a
> little lower than one would wish.

You need to set the #'staff-affinity (and, optionally, adjust the spacing
parameters). For example:

\version "2.19.48"
\language "english"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #CENTER
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #1.5

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff
    \new Voice = "upper" { \clef "bass" g2 g a1 g2 g a1 \bar  "|." }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "upper" { Words just right! Words just right! }
  \new Staff = "lower" { \clef "bass" a,2 a, g,1 a,2 a, g,1 }

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info