Re: New LilyPond website

From: Marc Mouries
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:53:14 -0500

First, I want to thank John for his contribution. The new design looks more modern and gives a feeling that lilypond's community is alive.

I deal with UI at work on a daily basis and no two persons will agree on the look and feel of a website of application. So IMHO we should focus on making sure that the new website template mechanism can integrate with lilypond's development flow.

For writing music, I alternate between MuseScore and Lilypond. What makes me come back to lilypond is the power of the text interface and scripting capabilities. And let's not forget Frescobaldi. I had written a MacOS app for lilypond and I know how much work it is.

So one think I'd like to see more visible in the lilypond website is the power of Lilypond's scripting capabilities. I'd like to see featured examples from the LSR ( Lilypond Snippet Repository: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Browse) that show examples that are difficult or would take more time to write in other music notation software.

I'll ask the list for their input and may be some response could be featured.

PS: on the home page of the new website , we can read "Excellent Classical Engraving". I'd like to  replace "Classical" something else: One suggestion:  "Free Music Score Engraving "
- Professional

Some notes on the new layout:
1) The favicon.ico file is missing
2) the header takes too much real estate that could be used to feature some key

I'd suggest to put everyone's feedback or action items in a google sheet for everyone to easily review, stay up to date. Google sheets or another similar system will be helpful for prioritizing the feedback.

-Marc