Re: Multiple markings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 20:00:19 +0100

Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I mean that the code for RehearsalMark was just a wrapper round an
>> > ordinary mark. So if you tried to put both on the same barline, the
>> > underlying engine just saw two ordinary marks, and threw one away. That
>> > was very frustrating back then.
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by “back then”?
>>
>> I can’t even remember a time when this was a problem, and I’ve been using
>> Lilypond since 2003.
>> Perhaps by complete coincidence I just never had \mark and \tempo at the
>> same moment until 2.17 (when I know for sure it worked fine).
>>

> Waaaay back in 2.19.15, this behavior still exists, where the tempo is
> dropped:
>
> \version "2.19.15"
> {
>     R1
>     \mark
>     \tempo Allegro 4=120
>     R1
> }

Have you ever actually tried looking up how \mark is called?

Write \mark \default (as that is likely what you mean here) and of
course \tempo is not affected in any manner.

The problem is that \mark has historically been too lenient in verifying
its argument, so you feed it crap and then make up absurd theories about
what is happening.

The only thing that has changed since that time is that \mark will
actually complain about this kind of rubbish.  If you write stuff
correctly, it will work the same now and then.

--
David Kastrup