Re: Space after barline before first chord notes

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Space after barline before first chord notes
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 14:50:41 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> In my large score, at one point there is a very large gap between a span
> bar/barline and the chords in the bar, which have lots of accidentals
> (dodecaphonic style). I would prefer to be able to move the chords left
> closer to the barline. I have made an MWE to illustrate. In the score with
> the line break where the bars are spread out, lilypond moves the chords away
> from the barline, and in my original context, far too much, much more than
> here. In the score with no break, the positioning is fine.
>
> I have experimented with space-alist values to no avail. Pointers to how to
> control this spacing issue would be most appreciated.
>
> Andrew
>
> == snip
>
> \version "2.19.54"
>
> treble = {
>   \clef treble
>   \time 1/4
>   c'4
>   \clef bass
>   <fis, cis>1
>   \break
>   c'4 c'
> }
>
> bass = {
>   \clef bass
>   \time 1/4
>   c4
>   <g,, bes,, c,>1 |
>   c4 c
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff
>   <<
>     \new Staff \treble
>     \new Staff \bass
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \Score

why do you copy the Score-settings, but do nothing else with it?

>     \accidentalStyle Score.dodecaphonic
>   }
> }
>

> trebleTwo = {
>   \clef treble
>   \time 1/4
>   c'4
>   \clef bass
>   <fis, cis>1
>   c'4
>   %\break
>   c'
> }
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff
>   <<
>     \new Staff \trebleTwo
>     \new Staff \bass
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \Score
>     \accidentalStyle Score.dodecaphonic
>   }
> }
>
> == snip

You could try to use this:

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \accidentalStyle dodecaphonic
      %% changing semi-fixed-space to fixed space
      %% and 0.9 to 1.3 (same value as for first-note
      \override BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 1.3)

Not sure the results will be convincing, though.

Ofcourse you could apply it with
\once \override Score.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = ...
for one-time-use.

HTH,
  Harm