Re: export as image (png)

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: export as image (png)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:51:40 +0100

> On 21 Jan 2017, at 17:31, Lodewijk de Vries <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a music teacher, and I'd like to use LilyPond to create music notation
> examples, to use them in lessons, tests and theory overviews. Pretty much
> like the graphic examples in the LilyPond handbook,
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/5f/lily-9dc23fce.png for example.
>
> But: I don't know how to create the PNG files. I've done some research, and I
> found out that it can be done through use of the command line. I never used
> the command line (or the terminal), so guess I'm stuck there.
>
> Can someone explain to me what to do, in order to create small notation
> snippets, like in the handbook? Currently I'm using LilyPond on my Macbook
> (OS X).
>
> Thanks!
> - Lodewijk
Lodewijk,

assuming that you installed Lilypond within /Applications like any regular Mac
OS application (drag-and-drop to the Applications). The procedure for getting a
PNG would be:

- Open the Terminal app
- cd to the folder that contains your Lilypond file (assuming you filed it
somewhere inside Documents it would be done using
cd ~/Documents/your/deeper/folders
- from there start the lilypond executable with the proper commandline options:
/Applications/Lilypond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond -fpng
yourLIlypondFile.ly

In order to get such small snippets you would also have to optimize the
papersize in your snippet (or use post-processing with a graphics application
to cut away the superfluous unused paper from the image)
If you need help on that part as well I would be happy to help you there as
well. Just let me know.

regards,
Hans