avoiding collisions between markup, tempo, and \mark

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: avoiding collisions between markup, tempo, and \mark
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 17:40:33 +0100

Hi List,

I have the following code:

systembreaks = \new Voice {

\mark \default
   \tempo "A tempo" 8 = 104
   s2^\markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" } | s2*15 \bar "||"
}

in a voice that contains all the tempo/key changes, and other such markings. In this case, the \markup segno is colliding with the tempo indication (and I can't set it as a \mark, because I already have one of those at this point). Likewise, at other points the tempo indication is colliding with slurs.

What I would like to do is keep the segno where it is currently aligned, and move the tempo marking out of the way (a little bit to the right should do). How can I do this? I assume it's a simple \once \override statement, but I haven't had any luck finding it. Would anybody mind pointing it out?

On a side note, there doesn't appear to be any part of the NR that talks about how to set up \segno statements in general, aside from how to place in-stave ones on barlines (as part of NR 1.4.1). There's a mention in the snippets, but it's a bit unclear how one would go about it in normal use cases. Likewise, the NR itself doesn't discuss tempo indications; it's only part of the introductory manual. It'd be nice to have both of these (and similar marks like codas) discussed in more detail as part of the NR's discussion of repeats, as some of them can get a bit … baroque.