Re: Back in the Pond

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Back in the Pond
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 11:09:49 +0100

On 2017-01-20 10:46, David Kastrup wrote:
> Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi everybody!

>>> Uh, I thought that people replaced extenders right now?
>> Well, may I cite the notation manual:
>>
>>     "extender lines cannot be drawn when there is no associated voice."
>>
>> The autoextender patch only adds extenders at places where extenders
>> can be added without it.
>
> That does not sound like we should remove __ from lyrics to me.

That already proved to be a source of endless misinterpretations, so be careful
to complain... ;-)

Two-line summary:
1. (What used to be) __ is added *everywhere.*
2. *Processing (printing)* of LyricExtenders changed such that only the
extenders you expect to appear are drawn by default.

Because of 1. it would be rather surprising if the need arises to add it
manually ever again, and thus it should be safe to deprecate and ignore the
token.
W.r.t. 2., I think all reasonable use cases are covered. If, however, you have
any example of lyrics without associated voice, where extenders are required
and working with the old __, please raise your voice now. I can't imagine that.
(BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with the \lyricsto ... = ... { ... }
issue per se. It's just that both are a tremendous simplification for choral
scores.)

Cheers,
Alexander