Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:38:26 +0000

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 10:20:17 GMT Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Unfortunately I ran into this very issue, changing from Debian
> > stable (in the Linux Mint Debian Edition incarnation) to vanilla
> > Debian testing. I did this because the PyQt5 packages in stable are
> > too old to run current Frescobaldi from its Git repository.  Now
> > that I managed to get Frescobaldi running again I can't build
> > LilyPond anymore because in Debian testing I don't have guile 1.8
> > anymore :-(
> >
> > For working *with* LilyPond it's not much of an issue to use the
> > releases, but I can't work *on* LilyPond right now ...
>
> Mhmm, compiling and installing guile 1.8 is not rocket science...
> Have you tried that already?
>
> Maybe we have to bite the bullet and distribute guile 1.8 together
> with lilypond.  I know that this is a step into the wrong direction
> since it doesn't force the guile maintainers to improve guile 2.x so
> that lilypond can use it...
>

>     Werner

Don't laugh yet.

A while ago, I was showing Cordy Hall who was at our CS department how we used
Lilypond to typeset our applications' output. She is a fine violinist. She was
very interested in it, and suggested rewriting the whole of Lilypond in
Haskell.

It took me a while to realise she wasn't joking.

Wait for it...

It turns out she had a lot to do with the Haskell type-checker.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?
doi=10.1.1.103.5639&rep=rep1&type=pdf

scheme2haskell, anyone?

You  can laugh now :)