Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:47:13 +0100

Am 07.01.2017 um 21:50 schrieb H. S. Teoh:

I think that the most promising way of attack is to make sure that
Guile-2.0 and Guile-1.8 libraries can be installed in parallel, and
with parallel architectures (most libraries can, Guile-1.8 was not
multiarch-capable when it was removed).

When Debian can include Guile-1.8 without significant cost, why
wouldn't they?  I think that there lies our most promising approach in
the short term.
[...]

Debian does have quite a good number of libraries that can coexist with
different versions of themselves.  And in theory, I'd imagine that it
should be possible to tweak guile-1.8's build scripts so that it
installs into a version-specific path, so as not to have any conflicts
with guile-2.0.  So this should all be possible.  But I don't know how
much actual work it would take to make this all work, though.

On 2016/12/24 I recommended to use OpenSuSE Tumbleweed, and I gave
one reason: In 2011 (!) they changed guile 1.x so that it can coexist with
guile 2.x. They gave a reason for that, you can read it in the changelog:

Changed name to guile1 to create new package for factory, based
on the 11.4 guile-1.8.7, to enable lilypond to build.
Nothing prevents the debian advocates to adopt the changes made
by opensuse.

Nevertheless, as there's more than debian and opensuse,  I'd recommend to
fork guile 1 and use that fork as a git submodule in lilypond.

cu,
 Knut