Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 22:24:03 +0100 (CET)

> I can't speak for other distros, but at least as far as Debian is
> concerned, if the upstream (i.e., lilypond) source tarball contains
> a copy of the guile-1.8 sources, and the build script is tweaked
> such that it installs a copy of guile 1.8 in paths private to
> lilypond, e.g., /usr/lib/lilypond/guile-1.8 or some such path,
> rather than in system-global paths like /usr/bin/guile, then it
> could probably be made to work.

*If* we bundle guile 1.8 with lilypond, I strongly prefer static
linking of the library (this is, adding `--disable-shared' to guile's
configure script, together with a proper argument to the
`--datarootdir' option to install the .scm files under a lilypond
directory).  This avoids *any* problems with different guile library
versions, and the created lilypond binary can peacefully coexist with
guile 2.0 even in the `/usr' tree.

    Werner