Re: OOoLilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OOoLilyPond
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 10:25:27 +0100

Am 02.01.2017 um 00:58 schrieb Wols Lists:
> On 01/01/17 23:34, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>>> Just make sure you look in the right place ... :-)
>>>
>>> I follow the LO dev mailing list, and last I remember (probably mid last
>>> year) it was a bit of a mess with some filters importing vectors
>>> unchanged, and other filters converting it to internal LO structures.
>>> And it was a bit of a russian roulette which one was applied to your file.
>>>
>>> I know the aim was to clean it up, and it was clear that stuff imported
>>> should NOT be converted unless/until the user tried to edit it, but I
>>> don't know where that went.
>> Several years ago I looked into OO’s vector drawing structures and found
>> them to be a subset of SVG.
>> Maybe there is a good conversion of LilyPond’s SVG subset to LO’s possible?
>>
> I'm sure there is. I'm just saying that the import procedure was broken
> such that users were likely to get a substandard experience. I hope it's
> been fixed by now.

OK, I was on my proper computer for the first time now since this thread
restarted.
I checked with LibreOffice 5.2.4 and could properly include a
LilyPond-generated .eps graphic and export the whole document to PDF
without obvious issues.

So it should be possible to make OOLilyPond use vector graphics for its
snippets. I think this would be a terrific feature for all those who
need to include music fragments in text documents and aren't ready to
take the plunge to use LaTeX. I think this should be a real incentive
for (academic) music teachers to promote the use of LibreOffice and
LilyPond.

So it would be really great to pick up this extension and make it usable
again.

Urs