French tablature?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: French tablature?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 09:15:35 +1100

The tablature examples given (section 2.4.1) show Italian lute tablature: frets given as numbers, and written on the line. However, French tablature uses letters between lines, as shown here:

http://sologuitarist.net/score/BachFugueFrenchTab.jpg

Note durations are given above the staff, with only changes given. A variation on this was for music for the bass viol in different tunings (called playing "lyra way"; sometimes the viol thus played was called a "lyra viol") has the notes given with heads, not stems alone:

http://atelierphilidor.com/contents/media/l_bi128%20page2_.png

Is it likely that Lilypond will provide such tablature at some stage? Currently, if I want to typeset tablature, I need to use different software.

Thanks,
Alasdair

--
Alasdair McAndrew