Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 11:02:59 +0100

On 23 December 2016 at 10:39, ptoye <address@hidden> wrote:
[...] I really didn't mean to start a theological discussion about how one should
type in music, but obviously some people feel much stronger about it than I
do. There are three ways of telling LilyPond what the pitch of a particular
note should be, and it/'s up to the user to try them out and decide which
one suits him and the particular piece best. For me, it's mostly \relative,
but the melodies usually don't move by much. If I were Webern, it would
be\absolute.

There is a price to pay for having many different possibility to do something. A major complexity in writing Lilypond software (but we could say that this is not our problem :)) but also a major complexity in managing/reading the lilypond score source files. So I think it is always correct to think before adding something you can already do in another way.

I agree that in this case probably it makes sense having both.

Another thing, as Kieren mentioned, is what the documentation should promote: absolute or relative? I don't know.