PDF-Editor Links in Windows

From: Thomas Wilmot
Subject: PDF-Editor Links in Windows
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 01:15:15 -0400

Hello everyone,

I just thought I should once again draw some attention to the PDF Document-Text Editor hyperlink bug which exists at least in Microsoft Windows.

There is a post archived here: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-04/msg00055.html in which Phil concludes that this is in fact a bug, as the Windows installer does not create a functioning environment.

I posted a while back about the same issue here: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/PDF-Links-in-Windows-td181761.html

I ran into it again today, but seem to have made new progress!

I was again trying to follow the guidelines at this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914(v=vs.85).aspx

I tried simply making a text file with .REG extension, then double-clicking to merge with the registry, but it didn't work. When I dug in with the Registry Editor, the Guile scheme was there, presumably from the initial installation.

Anyway, after messing around with the registry for a while, I finally got the [editor] application I requested to open!

This means that all the links in the hyperlink chain are working but the last!

1.  The PDF viewer is recognizing and sending out the URI request properly.
2.  Internet Explorer is translating the URI, as described on the MSDN page.
3. The registry is calling the editor application (or whatever application I tell it to) 4. The Editor Application is receiving the message from MSIE and appearing when called for even though the slashes are the wrong way! 5. The last step is the editor actually understanding the URI and handling it correctly.

All the people who have this working seem to be using Vim, Emacs, or some other crazy editor! I just want any simple text editor to be able to understand the URI. I would personally like Frescobaldi to understand it (which is probably something I should go contact them about), but given that LilyPad is the text editor which is included with LilyPond, it would make sense for it to be fully functional out of the box, including the hyperlinking between the original and Gold standard PDF reader from the creators of the format (Acrobat Reader) and the LilyPond-included text editor!

It seems that some Unicode support has been gained by LilyPad since I last used it which is great! (hence the lilypad-ascii.exe version), though I think this hyperlinking is a much more basic feature! (At least for an English speaker :P)

I have attached a screenshot of the error message given by LilyPad for not knowing what to do with the URI.

Thanks,
     Thomas