Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 23:33:09 +0100

On 2016-12-10 20:20, Noeck wrote:
Hi Alexander,

where is this from: conditional-kill-lyric-extender-callback?
Does it have any drawback?

Hi Joram,

glad it helped. It seems that I wrote it, probably modeled after a suggestion by Kieren:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-06/msg00326.html
I'm genuinely surprised to rediscover my authorship there...

I'm not aware of any drawbacks, but I though the same from the lyric hyphen snippet...

It is a perfect solution for a problem I had for quite some time:
In chorales (4 voices, mostly homophone), I often have common lyrics but
sometimes different melismata. So just because of one or two __, I have
to duplicate the lyrics up to four times or put several tags in there.
This conditional killing of the extender line allows to enter the __ in
the common lyrics and in all voices without melisma, it is removed
automatically. Very nice.

Sound perfectly valid. Never thought of it, despite the fact that I was often annoyed by copy-pasting lyrics. But it should work like a charm.

Would it be possible to have automatic extender lines? For every melisma
there is an extender line if it would be longer than the minimum-length?

Hm. Iterate over lyrics and add Extender events for each syllable without a hyphen? Sounds reasonable...

Cheers,
Alexander