Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?

From: Gerdau, Michael
Subject: Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:17:05 +0100 (CET)

> >> Can someone please provide me a hint about how to build
> >> LilyPond.app on macOS (natively, without any cross-compiling,
> >> ideally without compiling any dependencies like ghostscript etc.)?
> >
> > It is not meant to be compiled natively.
>
> This is not true.  However, we rely heavily on the GNU stuff (in
> particular the gcc compiler), which is not native to MacOS.
>
> > If you want to do that anyway you'd have to do the porting all for
> > yourself.
>
> I think it would be an excellent idea to provide something for
> Homebrew – if we can make lilypond work with guile 2, I don't see
> large obstacles.

Not trying to be picky, but in essence the above is - with greater detail - what
I said.

The (official) lilypond build process does rely on cross compiling and no
(official) provision exists for compiling it natively.

In that sense I object against your claim "This is not true" - more so since
currently there are one or two major obstacles at this point in time.

And I repeat:
Note I'm not saying it can't be done.

Kind regards,
Michael