PyQt5 (was: LilyPond MIDI Input and Export Tutorials (with Audio Playbac

From: Urs Liska
Subject: PyQt5 (was: LilyPond MIDI Input and Export Tutorials (with Audio Playback) Tutorials)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 09:53:13 +0100

Am 04.12.2016 um 04:32 schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> Urs Liska wrote
>> Am 01.12.2016 um 17:59 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>
>>> What is up with Frescobaldi?  The last commit was 2 months ago.  Trivial
>>> patches sent to Wilbert don't get applied and no answer comes back.
>>>
>> I can only assume that Wilbert is even more busy than usual (from some
>> private communication as well).
>>
>> Obviously there is some strange compatibility issue with the PyQt5 version
>> in my distro's packages, and I didn't dare yet to set up a current PyQt/Qt
>> setup from sources of downloaded packages (somehow I feel this is a bad
>> idea, or at least daunting - any help appreciated).
> I've noticed a few oddities using PyQt5 there's definitely some things that
> are wonky but, I think they'll all be sorted out by v3.0 of Frescobaldi. :)
> Faith!

Unfortunately I don't think so.

> My GNU+Linux laptop has been working very smooth recently so I hope it
> continues with the new version!
>
> What distro are you using Urs? Just curious. What issues have you seen on
> your end w/ Qt5?

Well, as soon as I check out any commit after the PyQt4->PyQt5 change in
Frescobaldi the program quits in the very early stage with a memory
access violation (I'm not completely sure what's the appropriate English
term for "Speicherzugriffsfehler").
I had tried to pin it down to where the error occurs but it's remained
very obscure, and for some reason I don't recall we had come to the
conclusion that it's some compatibility issue with PyQt.

I'm running LMDE2 (Linux Mint Debian Edition), and requesting the Debian
Version returns 8.4. Interestingly there's exactly one other person
having expressed this problem and he also was running Debian 8.4.

So I'm pretty sure the problem would go away by upgrading PyQt to a more
recent version than available in my specific Debian's repositories. But
I feel daunted to do this manually because it's such a huge beast with
presumably countless dependencies.

So if anyone can give me a hint on how to force an upgrade or to add a
current installation *beside* the package one I'd be very glad.

Best
Urs