Re: Development manuals. Was: Re; New LilyPond website

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Development manuals. Was: Re; New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 16:33:49 +0100

(Bcc'ing bug-lilypond now. What a useful feature! ;-))

On 2016-11-29 16:18, Phil Holmes wrote:
[...] In fact, I tend to be confused about the different layout and
sectioning of the manual pages for stable and unstable. Now suddenly I
wonder whether in the long run it would be a good idea to have an
identical structure for downloads, manuals, regtests etc. for stable
and unstable, but use a different (background) color (scheme) for the

Actually, it would make much more sense to split the manuals and
download page for the development version in the same way it's split for
the stable version, I think?

Yes, that's what I meant. I hesitated to propose that because it seems more invasive, and I don't have time nor texinfo (?) knowledge to take care of that myself.

Also, there is a bit of difference in content that would need some thought: most prominently, the regression tests (that are not on the user manual page for a good reason, I guess), or the contributor's guide. I understand the reason for two different layouts, to keep things as accessible as possible for the active contributors. But probably we have a significant number of users running unstable on a daily basis, but who are non-(yet-)developers and would prefer an equivalent layout.

TIA,
Alexander