Re: New LilyPond website

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:51:32 +0100

"Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello John,
>

> Firstly, welcome to the lilypond community.
>

> Since you asked for comments, I feel compelled to reply. While what
> you have done is fine, I admit to being very surprised that you have
> made some considerable effort off your own bar without, as far as I
> know, any communication or discussion with the very active community
> of list members here.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with fleshing out an idea before
presenting it.  There is the danger of some lost effort, but at least
you are getting somewhere and get to weigh and make and discard
decisions by seeing their consequences.  Design by committee tends to be
arduous and leads to less consistent results.

Still the question of arriving at a solution that can well be integrated
with the existing and ongoing maintenance workflows takes quite a bit of
effort that is somewhat orthogonal to a nice first pitch.

With a more active development, the discussion would be less tiresome
and likely more focused on the next steps to take.

As it is, there are open questions and tasks in order to get a new
website integrated with the existing workflows in a degree where our
lacklustre translation coverage and activity does not take further hits.

We want to be crawling on at least as well as we do now.

--
David Kastrup