Re: Photoscore

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Photoscore
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:33:17 +0000

On 28 Nov 2016 09:11, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > You mean, if it doesn't already own you.  My father is a retired
> professor of theoretical physics who is still publishing.  He received a
> final draft of such a paper back from a physics journal along with
> instructions to put any corrections into PDF annotations.  So I
> installed Okular for him.
>
> Since the instructions were very detailed but only fit Acrobat Reader,
> he decided to use that after all and started up Windows.  Which decided
> to do a few updates.
>
> The only partition on his computer that is now still a Linux partition
> is the swap partition.
>
> Windows decided to update itself to Windows 10 (without asking back, of
> course) and decided to move all of Windows 8 into recovery partitions.
> Instead of partitioning off space from the existing Windows partition,
> it decided to rather junk all the Linux partitions and repurpose them.
>
> This is why this is called the "Windows 10 anniversary edition": it's
> like your wife celebrating your wedding anniversary by murdering your
> mistress and draping her on your bed.
>
> It is quite unclear how much, if anything, will be salvageable from his
> actual work environment.
>
> All of the Linux partitions are now "Windows recovery environment" or
> "Microsoft basic data" partitions and it is not clear how much of the
> original data will still be in there.
>
> Really, if you still have some dual boot environment, remove the Windows
> partition as fast as you can before it destroys your system.
>
> Microsoft is taking the last stand on the desktop and will go down with
> it.  Don't let it take out its despair on your property.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Hi David,

It's terrible that you've had that experience, I've not heard of that happening - although I dual boot at home
it hasn't happened to me... I've already got the "anniversary" update so may have dodged a bullet.

However, the issue here isn't how bad Windows is ;-)

It's worth pointing out, OS X is another option for running Sib.

I had quite good success with Sibelius under WINE.  Years ago though and I have no idea whether that would still work.

Cheers

Chris

P.S.
"it's like your wife celebrating your wedding anniversary by murdering your
mistress and draping her on your bed"

I laughed out loud :)

Cheers,

Chris