Re: Photoscore

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Photoscore
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 06:21:48 -0700 (MST)

N. Andrew Walsh wrote
> Hi List,
>
> I've unfortunately run up against a suddenly very urgent deadline, that
> involves all the worst things about doing engraving work with Lily while
> trying to work with entrenched commercial interests.
>
> Namely, I've spent the last year engraving a set of scores with Lily that
> look great, but for a project that was financed by a large commercial
> publisher that is dead-set on Sibelius. The financing depends on the
> publisher getting a .sib file, and the project lead just told me yesterday
> that I need to produce such a file in a week or two "or else."
>
> I don't have Sibelius (I roll linux), but my partner does, so Urs and I
> have a sort of hacky solution that might work: I start with a blank sib
> file with all the voices and measures and meter changes, and then the
> individual voices of the score from the .ly file. The .sib file gets
> exported to a MusicXML file, as do the parts from the .ly file, and we're
> going to try to copy the latter into the former, hoping that we can
> re-import into Sibelius into something that only requires a reasonable
> amount of work to clean up and submit.
>
> Problem is, MusicXML is turning out to be somewhat … sub-functional, so
> we're having difficulties.
>
> However, my partner tells me that there's a commercial program called
> "Photoscore" that can take scanned scores and produce Sibelius files from
> them. But it's around $400, and (obviously) doesn't have a linux version.
>
> My question for the list is: do any of you have this program? Does it
> work?
> If so, would you be willing to help me by scanning in the Lilypond scores
> have? If we could get to a .sib file that even just *mostly* contains what
> it needs to, without all this import/export buggery, it would save huge
> amounts of time.
>
> Please let me know asap if any of you do. Like I said, I'm under a
> deadline
> to get this done, and the alternative is a lot of time spent commuting to
> computer lab off-site to re-enter everything manually. I'm *really* hoping
> one of you can spare me that fate.
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

I've used Photoscore but I prefer SmartScore. It has been far superior in
every project I've ever used it in. Worth every penny personally. It really
is a great tool.

It depends on what your needs are, how often you use it, budget, etc.
https://www.musitek.com/

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond