Re: Weird interaction of paper variables, lyrics, rehearsal marks and sp

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Weird interaction of paper variables, lyrics, rehearsal marks and span bars
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 10:15:55 +0100

> Hi All,
>
> The behaviour I am seeing is very strange. I have done my best to
> reduce it to as little code as possible (which is why it looks a bit
> strange), but I can't find anything more I can remove without making
> the problem suddenly disappear. Please accept my apologies that this
> is not a very minimal example. It requires a full page of music to
> reproduce.
>
> The problem is that the SpanBars in the last score have jumped out of
> the score altogether into the space above it. If somebody could at
> least confirm this behaviour on their system then I would be very
> grateful to have ruled out my own setup, which is version 2.19.49 on
> Fedora 24.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

it's not your system, but a problem in the definition of
make-dashed-bar-line in bar-line.scm

Two stencils are defined there, a dashed-line and a constructed
stencil lining up boxes created with ly:round-filled-box.
The latter is preferable, because it returns nicer output. But it does
not always work, thus there's a condition with a treshold-value to
decide which stencil-procedure should be used.

In your case the boxes-line is taken with the here bad behaviour.

I remember I once attempted to make the boxes-line work generally, but
without success.
I should retry. Another possible fix would be to take the
blot-diameter into the condition, which would have worked in your
example, not sure this would be a general fix, though.

For your current score I'd recommend to slightly increase the space
between the two staves of the last score, i.e.:

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \set StaffGroup.systemStartDelimiter = #'SystemStartBar
    \override StaffGroup.SpanBar.glyph-name = #"!"
    \new Staff <<
      \global
      \new Voice \up

    \new Staff <<
      \global
      \new Voice \down
      \new Lyrics \downLyrics

  \layout {
    \context {
      \StaffGroup
      %% default: 1
      %% changed to: 1.1
      \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing.padding = 1.1

HTH,
  Harm