Re: Combining \markup and \override in a variable

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Combining \markup and \override in a variable
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 18:17:40 +0000

On Sat, 2016-11-19 at 00:27 +0100, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 18.11.2016 22:41, David Sumbler wrote:
> >
> > I need to study this (and the previous answer) to see if I can
> > fathom
> > out the logic of it all.
> \tweak is a music function (which means it returns music) and it
> also
> takes music as its third argument. The dash turns a markup into a
> post-event, which is music.
>
> HTH, Simon

I find this very confusing.

\tweak returns music, yet it requires a hyphen in front of it.  And
markup is not music, but a hyphen turns it into music.  This seems to
indicate that \tweak itself is not music, but merely returns music -
but with the hyphen the \tweak itself becomes music.  Or perhaps not!

What constitutes music, so far as Lilypond is concerned?

David