Re: general question for composers

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: general question for composers
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 14:41:50 -0700 (MST)

Tobin Chodos wrote
> hi all,
>
> this is a general question for composers using lilypond.  at what point in
> your process do you generally start engraving?  Like most composers coming
> from the consumer notation softwares, I'm accustomed to working in pencil
> first, but not to completely separating the engraving and composition
> tasks.  Curious about composer perspectives about this with lilypond.  are
> there strategies for working with a lilypond file while still composing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tobin

Hi Tobin!

Back several years when I first tried out LilyPond, I was using Sibelius and
Finale very regularly and often inputting directly into the software without
pencil and paper (thanks to *looming *deadlines)...

However, these days I almost always compose at the piano, using pencil and
paper, then once I get a 99% done pencil copy, I begin at the computer. I
now use LilyPond pretty much for all my recent personal compositions, and
Finale when I am required to for work and whatnot.

So, my process is pencil/paper first, until piece is essentially complete -
then engraving straight into LilyPond!

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond