Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 16:11:24 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/18/16 2:46 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>GMP is already linked into Guile exactly for that purpose.  It would not
>>really make a lot of sense to use it independently.
>
> You are certainly more qualified than me to comment on this.  However,
> it appeared to me that using the C++ interface to GMP allowed the
> memory allocation problem to be handled more easily from C++.  But I
> haven't tried any of it.

It would cause a lot of additional heap churn for passing around the
Rational type (it is usually passed by value rather than by reference).
Using Guile instead would mean that only references (namely an Scm
value) are passed around which do not require allocation/deallocation
for multiple "copies".

We really don't want to open the can of worms of an additional memory
management subsystem.

--
David Kastrup