Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:37:22 -0500

Hi David,

> It's worth noting that something like this may work in a minimal example
> and fail when it occurs 20 measures into the score

Of course. I was simply responding to mclaren’s snide email, with all of its
false claims and laughably-easy challenges (both explicit and implicit):

> What I realize is that Kieren is good with photoshop.

100% FALSE. I used only Lilypond.

> lilypond hangs permanently when you try to compile that example.

100% FALSE: My snippet compiles without a problem (and whether or not one wants
to argue about the “hackiness” of the actual solution/code, the output was
clearly sufficient since it fooled mclaren into thinking I had to use
Photoshop).

> This example hits [the limits]. That's life.

100% FALSE: See above.

> while it's not possible to output a score or a MIDI file from lilypond for
> this kind of thing

100% FALSE (re: “score”): See above.

ALMOST CERTAINLY 100% FALSE (re: “MIDI”): With a few well-placed fraction note
factors, I could likely output a “perfect” MIDI file.

That being said, in the interest of fairness…

> Approximating a score via photoshop takes more time than working
> with lilypond would, of course, but then anything worth doing takes time.

100% TRUE. It’s just too bad mclaren doesn’t see that actually learning how to
use Lilypond well, rather than bitching about it on this list, is worth doing
and takes time.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer