Re: Getting a new computer

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 00:18:31 -0600

On Thu 17 Nov 2016 at 13:51:51 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Well, that code does not compile and generates and error on 2.19.50, but it
> gets very close to the final PDF. On my new system with an i7-6700 it takes
> about 35 seconds, so I’d say of the order of 40 seconds.

The only errors I see are 2.18 constructions when run with 2.19.49.
OTOH I always see these warnings:
warning: cannot find property type-check for `extra-X-extent' (backend-type?).
perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
Seven in all.

> I specified my new system that I built principally for lilypond, but also
> photographic work. Now, lilypond is single threaded and does not make use of
> multiple cores effectively, so there is no point going for a processor that
> has a huge number of cores – it simply has no benefit for lilypond. But do
> get the fastest CPU you can afford. The i7 6700 and the slightly higher
> spec’d i7 6800 or 6900 are excellent for this sort of work. They come with
> their own thermal solution so you don’t need to add expensive coolers.
>
> Lilypond is not particularly disk IO bound, so a good fast 2TB disk nowadays
> is more than adequate.
>
> Lilypond is also not very memory hungry, so you will be fine with 8GB of RAM,
> but maybe 16 GB is better nowadays.

Oh well, I'll just add my benchmarks:

real    3m13.656s
user    3m8.708s
sys     0m1.832s

2008-vintage Intel Core2 Duo processor, 1.20GHz, 2GB memory.

real    3m28.626s
user    3m26.885s
sys     0m1.532s

2006-vintage Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2GB memory.

Ages surmised from the BIOS dates. Time to cadge another computer methinks!

Cheers,
David.