Re: Notational conventions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Notational conventions
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 16:22:27 +0100

Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 9 Nov 2016, at 15:39, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On a 5-row
>> instrument, you can always adjust your fingering using the redundant
>> help rows in order to be trilling on non-adjacent buttons, making it
>> easier to have a nice pizzaz.  On my 4-row instrument, some trills
>> require trilling on adjacent buttons, and this piece's voice
>> distribution makes it hard to use anything but 3-4 fingering here.
>
> I couldn't tell for buttons, but with full scale keyboard, is normally
> an advantage with adjacent, or close together, keys.

We are talking about 7.5cm/octave here, so a horizontal escapement of
0.625cm per semitone.  Since the notes are in staggered rows, the actual
distance is more like that of horizontally adjacent buttons, namely
7.5cm/4 = 1.875cm but in a sort-of diagonal direction.

> Also, one can switch fingers during an ornament, but I do not know if
> it is done on accordions.

Switching fingers is tends to be done more than on piano (even when
using a piano accordion keyboard) since the instrument exposes the key
release much more prominently than a percussive instrument like a piano
does.  It is more similar to harmonium and organ with regard to some
articulation issues.  Of course, a button provides a smaller area for
switching.

--
David Kastrup