Re: openLilyLib

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: openLilyLib
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 22:22:36 +0100

Hi Urs,

I liked the idea of oll from the start and I used it quite often after
you published functions used in the Fried songs publication.
I liked because:
- the nice functions (mostly around the Fried project)
- it's a place where code can go more quickly than into lilypond proper
- the edition engraver is great
- it's like the LSR but, updateable (git pull) and includable (no
  copy&paste)

But then I never understood how oll is supposed to work after the
restructuring and the restructuring is going on for much too long. So I
decoupled from the remote version and just kept what I had.

I have about six tools I use regularly which I have in a branch of my
local copy of oll and I already wanted to contribute them (if they are
helpful, a few are perhaps too trivial). But the current state is too
confusing for me.

I just respond to your mail, other than that I consider my contribution
and possible future contribution too small to be relevant or to be
demanding.

Some more comments inline:

> 1)
> A "snippets" library located at https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets.

That's the part, I know and like. If I use it for a score and want to
have it standalone, I can just copy a function I need to avoid the
dependency. \include is easy to understand and use.

> 2)
> A library infrastructure. Below https://github.com/openlilylib/ there is
> a number of repositories circling around the oll-core package.

I don't understand the point of such an endeavor, yet.

> Unfortunately 2) is still a work in progress or rather a construction
> site

That's the problem. I remember that I once wanted to use a script and I
found 3 instances in different places and on different branches. One
more outdated than the other. It is a chicken-and-egg problem.

I won't be available for a GSoC project, but in general a library could
be built from small contributions if the infrastructure (module
mechanism) was working and if the general structure was defined.

lyp, oll. What other repositories do you think of?

Best,
Joram