Re: compound time signature with non duple denominator

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: compound time signature with non duple denominator
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:36:18 -0500

On Thu 03 Nov 2016 at 17:13:14 (-0700), mclaren wrote:
> I have an even more diabolical question, related to the one at the start of
> this thread.
>
> But let me first answer the original question, which was: "Is there a way to
> implement a non-binary time signature like 4 + 1/3?" I think I know a way to
> do this.
>
> This seems like an entirely valid question. 1/3 would be a single triplet
> note, right? That is, if we're dealing with (4 + 1/3)/4, then what we want
> is 4 quarter notes + 1 triplet quarter note, correct?  In that case, can't
> we get the same effect by doing [X number of triplets equivalent to 4
> quarter notes] + 1 triplet quarter note?
>
> The number of triplet quarter notes = 4 quarter note is of course 12,
> therefore the total is 12 + 1 triplet quarter notes, and therefore the time
> signature should be 13/3.

Um, I'm trying to find the difference between that and
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-10/msg00586.html

Why do you have a denominator of "3". Why not 13/2 or 13/4 or 13/8 or 13/16?

> And here's an example of the score output on imgur:
> http://imgur.com/a/cSyML

To me, that looks like
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-10/msg00584.html
except that you've suppressed the "a a" following the barline check
which Joram didn't bother to do.

That's the first thing you do (and I did).
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00074.html

Then you look at it again and realise that those number "3"s that
pepper the score are inappropriate as there isn't 3 of anything.
The obvious thing to do is to change to the ratio annotation, as in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00083.html

> Now here's my even more diabolical question:
> How do you get Lilypond to do a meter and print barlines properly on a time
> signature like
> 4 + (square root of 3)? And get valid page breaks?

I dpn't know. This seems to have more to do with mathematics than any
music I enjoy performing or listening to.

Cheers,
David.