Re: Any thoughts on how to automatically avoid rest collisions in polyph

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Any thoughts on how to automatically avoid rest collisions in polyphonic music?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:56:16 -0700

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 04:52:18PM -0700, David Bellows wrote:
> > Do you use the \voiceOne, \voiceTwo, \voiceThree commands in the
> > generated parts?  Sometimes those can help, by rendering rests for
> > each voice separately. Not sure if this is the solution you're
> > looking for, though.
>
> I had been but keeping it all straight and making the process
> infinitely expandable became a headache so now I use << voice1 //
> voice2 // voice3 >> etc which is easy to just keep adding to. Would
> using \voiceOne (etc) make that much of a difference?

You can try it and see?  In my experience, it does help with placement
of notes especially when you have rests in multiple voices. Lilypond is
generally quite good at handling shifting notes/rests horizontally to
make them fit, but that depends on how complex the music is. Some cases
may be so complex it will always require manual intervention.

I'm not sure about using << ... // ... >> to make it "infinitely
expandable"... wouldn't the output become illegible past 4 voices?  If
you're mechanically generating these parts, I'd say keep it to 2 voices
per staff, which is least problematic. In theory, it should be easy for
the program to allocate a new Staff for every two voices, right?

You could have more, up to 4 per staff, if you use \voiceOne, \voiceTwo,
...  \voiceFour, but then there would be cases where collisions become
inevitable and lilypond may just give up trying to figure it out.  At
least, it would require manual intervention (recently I've been working
on a complex 4-voice piano score and lots of manual intervention were
needed to keep things straight and not turn into spaghetti on the page).

If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon
execution. -- Robert Sewell