Re: Spanish terms for LH and RH

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Spanish terms for LH and RH
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 16:43:29 +0200

I am engraving the Soler Fandango, an 18c Spanish piece. the LH and RH indications in the MS I am working from are a little unclear. Given that mano izqueirda is left hand and mano derecha is right hand I would have expected to see I. and D., but the writer uses m. and D. Is this normal? I am not so familiar with the Spanish keyboard conventions of the period. What do Spanish composers use nowdays?

I think the most used terms are m.d. for right hand and m.s. for left hand, and it is italian: mano destra, mano sinistra, if I'm not wrong. Spanish scores use them more than any Spanish terms, I think.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com