Configurable Rests

From: Werner Arnhold
Subject: Configurable Rests
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:24:37 +0200

Hi all,

I am new to this list so it might be that my question is just answered.
I did not find a hint in the archives.

I try to set an orchestral work. To get a partitura as well as single
sheet for the instruments I want to write the music for them in
different files and then combine them to a score as needed.

When clarinetI and clarinetII are printed to different sheets rests are
no problem. When they are combined as \voiceOne and \voiceTwo there are
common rests and rests for only one of the instruments.

I would like to have a function, e.g. "\pause 4" that produces

- a "r4", if the instrument is on a single staff
- a "r4", if the instrument is \voiceOne but doesn't have this rest
common with the other instrument
- a "h4\rest" for a common rest if the instrument is used as \voiceOne
and
- a "r4" for a not common rest on \voiceTwo and
- a "s4", if the instrument is used as \voiceTwo

The position should be adaptable for different keys.

It would be very fine if there would be a global switch where the
procedure could look how it should produce its output and it would be
fine if this would be possible with more than one pair of instruments in
a score.

Is there a known solution for this?

Thanks in advance

Werner