Re: vertically aligning text/marks/tempo

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: vertically aligning text/marks/tempo
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:37:23 -0400

Hi Urs,

>> Of course, you still have to manually deal with the [long-standing and
>> long-irritating] fact that texts are not baseline-aligned, but
>> bottom-aligned…
> Oh my, this is the reason ...

Yes. I’ve never seen a good reason for why Lilypond chose (chooses) this
implementation, nor a good explanation of why it would be any more difficult to
fix it to be the more intuitive (and text-setting industry standard) baseline
alignment. As long as the skylines are calculated according to the new
alignment/placement, it should be equally easy to manipulate baseline-aligned
text.

Maybe you can be the one to finally tackle this issue?  =)

Thanks,
Kieren.

p.s. Do you need help implementing the strut?

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden