Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:17:06 -0500

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:48 AM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Harm,
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> in this thread
>> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Alternate-scheme-text-spanner-ignores-spacers-td195195.html
>> you researched the cause for problems while attaching TextSpanner to
>> spacers using custom-scheme-engravers.
>>
>> May it be possible the problem is present in the original .cc-coded as well?
>>
>> At least I don't see any problem with attached TextSpanners as soon as
>> I change a spacer to a real note-event in Rutger's code:
>>

> It appears to be related to the X-position of the right-bound text:
> if it's too far to the left, it won't be printed.
>
> Change the right-padding override in your example to 10, and the text
> will also disappear.

ly:line-spanner::print considers the properties left-bound-info and
right-bound-info.  It returns '() if the sum of left.padding and
right.padding is greater than the distance between the left and right
ends of the spanner (as determined from "X" and "Y" stored in
bound-details).  I can't say I follow the thinking, but that's what
causes nothing to be printed when right.padding is set too high.

(The variable for padding is confusingly named "gaps" in the code, by the way.)

David